Proof of Comparable Coverage
Effective Summer B term starting on June 30, 2014, all newly admitted or re-admitted domestic students who are enrolled at least half-time* in a degree-seeking program along with all international students are required to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is provided.
*Half time is defined as 6 eligible credit hours for undergraduate students and 5 eligible credit hours (4 credit hours during summer) for graduate students including post-candidacy doctoral students. For students beginning in Summer B term, half-time is considered 3 hours; however one must be enrolled in 6 hours to receive financial aid. This applies to both domestic and international students.
Minimum Coverage Guidelines
- Your plan does not have any limitations or exclusions on pre-existing conditions.
- Your plan covers hospital stays for medical and surgical care and for mental health conditions.
- Your plan covers doctor office visits for medical and mental health conditions.
- Your plan covers prescriptions written by a doctor. (If you are covered for prescription benefits through a third party vendor – Merck Medco, CVS Caremark, Express Scripts, etc., that is acceptable.)
- Access to a provider network within approximately an 80 mile radius of the student’s home campus is available. Coverage must be available for routine, specialty, diagnostic, urgent and hospital care. Coverage for urgent or emergency care only IS NOT sufficient.
- Your plan covers services related to injury from participation in all types of recreational activities or recreational sports, excluding intercollegiate athletics.
- If your plan has an annual deductible, EITHER:
- It must be equal to or less than $1,500; OR
- You confirm you have financial means to meet the higher deductible amount
- If you are female (males please check “Yes”), EITHER:
- Your plan covers maternity care, including prenatal care and delivery with no pre-existing condition limitations; OR
- You confirm you have financial means to cover maternity care, including prenatal care and delivery
- Your plan provides coverage for diagnostic services, including laboratory tests.
- Your plan pays at 70% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 50% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness.
- If you are an international student, your plan covers:
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 or more
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000 or more
PLEASE NOTE: Travel plans and county medical service plans (CMSP) may not be used to waive participation.